QLD based Motorhomes & Caravan manufacturing company came to us with their problem statement regarding visibility of operations across their 6 manufacturing facilities where motorhome build and finishing services are performed.
Manager Steve uses a manual system of recording production flow which helps him know where each product is and oversee the operation.
The Challenge: Operational Awareness
• Improve operational insight (increase efficiency)
• Make data driven decisions (increase business performance)
• Reduce bottlenecks
• Save time looking for assets
• Remote visibility to improve business management
Goal: Visibility of operations across 6 manufacturing facilities where motorhome build and finishing services are performed
• Telephone calls & emails
• Visual inspections
Effective but limited – prone to delays, errors, and downtime.
Our solution is simple and low cost, we attach an Asset Tracking Tag to each chassis and a Gateway is plugged in at each location.
From here we have real-time visibility of what is in each space and where each chasis is.
This information is shared with each department via a wall mount screen so they can see the products which are next in line and most importantly, management can quickly identify if they are falling behind.
• Real-time production flow
• Less time on foot searching
• Transparency helps keep teams synchronised
• Data provides a single source of truth
• Identify well performing departments
• Improves accountability of each department
• Enables remote management
This is an example of a low cost RTLS solution which is quick and easy to setup, provides meaningful data for the business and ties the departments together.
What is interesting about this use case is the many benefits which have transpired and respective value attributed by such a simple system.
Needless to say, the return on investment for Steve was greater than expected.